The Organizational Period
January 1952-April 28,1952
Early in January 1952, in order to spread Rotary throughout the territory of 260, District Governor, Louis Hamilton met with members of the Sharpsburg-Etna-Aspinwall Rotary Clubs to consider it feasibility of a separate club in the Borough of Etna. A survey was made under the Governor’s special representatives, Orlando Finelli and Clarence Fugh of the parent club. On February 12,1952 a meeting was called at the offices of Thomas Jeremiah Sr. in the Peoples Savings & Loan offices. In attendance was Governor Lou Hamilton, Special District Representatives, Harry Wehreheim, Orlando Finelli, Clarence Fugh, and the following prospective Rotarian’s: Tom Jeremiah Sr., Sam Fitch, Norm Adams, Art Bittner, Fred Huston, George Hoburg, D.Edwin Austen, L.K.Barry, Harold Beacher, Ed Berry, and Bob Winschel. At this meeting it was decided that this group would be the nucleus of a new Rotary Club in Etna.
The following officers were elected:
- President: Tom Jeremiah Sr
- Vice President: Sam Fitch
- Secretary: Bob Winschel
- Treasurer: Fred Huston
- Directors: Norm Adams Harold Beacher George Hoburg
The Original Club was Etna Rotary. The named was changed to Etna-Shaler Rotary in the 1980′ s to reflect the growing Shaler Community. In 2009 wtih the closing of the Millvale Rotary Club the name was changed again to the Shaler Area Rotary Club. This was done to provide community service throughout the Shaler Community. Since 1952 the Shaler Area Rotary has been available to community service projects and the needs of community families, and are committed to continue this effort. In 2012 we celebrated 60 years in serving the Shaler Community.